Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Total Knee Replacement-What works for pain



Hello All!
I wanted to do a quick blog to let you guys know what kind of treatments have been working well for me, with pain, and healing.  Below is a quick list of the items I recommend!

ICE!  Ice is by far the best friend I have right now.  I wake up, I ice my knee for 20 minutes.  On top, underneath, the shin and even my thigh.  Anywhere with swelling and pain.  I do it as often as I like, all day (and night) just only 20 minutes at a time.

Essential oils-Before surgery, I made sure to keep my spirits up with some of my favorite essential oils. (Diffusing-Cedarwood, lavender and spruce blend, or Stress away (a young living blend) with peppermint.  Wearing- My favorite blend right now to wear is called "The Secret", it is available through Rocky Mountain Oils).  A good attitude goes such a long way on this recovery.  Now that I am on the healing side of this adventure, I am using a blend of coconut oil, Helicrysum, Lavender and Frankincense.  I also highly recommend a deep relief or deep blue lotion blend, both available through either Young Living, or DoTerra.  They are pretty much the same.  The deep lotion blend helps to numb me up enough to fall asleep. 

Staying hydrated!!!  Before, during and after surgery, I am seriously pushing water like crazy.  I know it helps, I had alot of meds in me for surgery, and after.  Best to purge all that out!

Go Slow!  I am doing really well with my progress, but I have to keep reminding myself to take it slow.  Keep moving, but go SLOW! 

Its ok to ask for help.  Those who love you will understand.  Try and have a good support system set up BEFORE you embark on this adventure! 

Praying.  I cannot tell you how much my fears, pain, and frustration have been replaced by peace and joy, just by communicating with my Creator.

Take your meds.  Don't try and be a superstar.  You will only end up in so much pain that it takes you hours and hours to get it under control.  You may make this mistake once, but you most likely won't make it again.

Do your physical therapy.  It sucks, it hurts, but it is rebuilding you.  Make all the pain worth it, by teaching your new joint and the muscles around it how to work together!

I think that is it...Just wanted to put together a list for those who may be facing their own joint replacement!

Love and healing,
Chelle


No comments:

Post a Comment